Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Thinking About Childhood

So, it seems that everyone now is an expert in child raising. The internet is full of so many parenting tips, I guess they’re thinking there aren’t any more ways to be an effective parent.

But here’s what I’m thinking:

I’m thinking that my idea of good parenting is placing a baby monitor in the child’s room. And leaving it in there until their eighteenth birthday.

I’m also thinking that it’s silly when mothers wish upon naughty teenagers for their future children to behave just like them. If you really want to keep your kids in line, tell them their comeuppance will be having children that behave just like you.

But most of all I’m thinking that instead of asking newly married couples when they’re going to have kids, look around your toy-strewn, sticky-furnitured house and ask yourself why you did. I’m pretty sure that if Adam and Eve had known what parenthood had in store for them, they’d have just gotten a puppy.